It’s no surprise that family holidays in the UK are of huge interest right now. People want the security and safety of a trip closer to home. Few want to risk the bureaucratic post-Brexit hassles of going abroad with all the clan, just in case things don’t go smoothly.
So, where is the very best destination in the UK for a getaway all the clan will enjoy? We definitely have all the ingredients for an extra special, extra fun time away for every member of the family. Pack those bags, jump in the car or board the train, and we’ll see you soon!
UK family breaks that make travelling easy
Whether you’ve fill the car boot, or you’re planning to take public transport, the journey is always half the fun. Here’s how to get to Exmoor, no matter where you are in the UK.
Wherever your journey begins, you might choose the M5 exiting at junction 24 or 25 to enjoy the scenic route through the Quantock Hills towards Exmoor. Remember in the summer months the M5 gets very busy. As a result, plan to leave early or late. Alternatively, choose the more leisurely trip on the A303, which passes Stonehenge and stunning countryside.
What makes our cottages perfect for a family getaway?
- Space: to rest, to play, to think, to hang out, to recharge
- Beds: Many guests comment on our super-comfy beds.
- Self-catering: With well-equipped kitchens for even the fussiest chefs!
- Gardens: There’s outside space from decks to large country cottage plots
- Board games: Play together
- Netflix: There’s nothing like a good box set as our guests discovered!
- Wi-Fi: We have BT Business broadband in all four cottages so download away
- Hot tubs: Luxurious spas await at our three cottages in Minehead
- Dog-friendly: Bring your fur friends
- Convenient: Near the beach, town and village, playground, and walks
We even have a cottage named The Old Sweet Shop, because that’s exactly what it was. What child doesn’t want to stay in a sweet shop? Actually, what adult doesn’t want to stay in a sweet shop…?!
UK holidays for families and their fur friends
Our four-legged friends are members of the family. Of course, dogs are welcome at Exmoor Character Cottages too. Tails will be wagging from the moment paws set foot here. We offer doggy baskets, bowls, blankets, towels, outdoor hoses for a quick cold shower and fencing in our outdoor spaces to avoid escapees! There’s even a treat on the welcome tray.
Why Exmoor is the ultimate destination for UK family breaks
Exmoor is one of the UK’s smallest national parks, and it’s also one of the country’s best kept secrets. From wide open spaces for perfect family walks, to tea rooms piled high with treats. Think coastal adventures with seashores and shells, rock pools and fossils. Here you’ll find castles, lighthouses, pill boxes, steam trains, and a funicular railway. Not to mention Exmoor ponies, deer and other wildlife in our woods, moors, and waters. It’s a magical place for families and children of all ages. We’ve even written our own book featuring 12 of our favourite walks.
Discover local villages and fascinating local history (the kids will love it!)
There’s so much to learn, to explore and to enjoy on such a varied holiday. Indeed, find out from the Turner family who stayed at The Oval in Dunster in August. Alternatively, read more about how the pretty medieval village of Dunster delights so many of our young guests.
Let someone else do the cooking during your group’s getaway
There are some great places to eat near our cottages – many with fabulous views. Our favourite child-friendly spots are:
- The Driftwood Café in Blue Anchor Bay – or just stop here for an ice cream
- The Hairy Dog Pub in Minehead – pub grub with the most amazing climbing frame
- Roly’s Fudge Pantry in Minehead – watch it being made – then eat it!
- Stones Hotel in Minehead – for great big sloppy pizzas cooked in the oven
- The Chocolate House in Dunster – you’ll be dragging them out of here!
- Tessa’s Tea Room in Dunster – fabulous cakes and a lovely garden
- Foresters Arms in Dunster – a family favourite with guests and a warm welcome
- Charlie Friday’s Café in Lynton – funky atmosphere and a yummy menu
- Torre Cider Farm in Washford – lots to explore here and fun for adults too!
- Doniford Farm Park in Washford – perfect outing for little ones
Family holidays in the UK are so much fun. Don’t take our word for it. Read first-hand from guests about what makes Exmoor Character Cottages so special. If you’re keen to stay with the kids at The Sweet Shop, find availability here.