Step back into the Middle Ages
Village centre location. Two reserved parking spaces. Sleeps six, two en-suite bathrooms. Wood burner, patio and sun deck. Rated Four Star Gold by VisitEngland.
The Oval - Historic England Holiday Cottage
In the heart of the beautifully-preserved village of Dunster is our historic England holiday cottage, The Oval. Not only is it a remarkable building, but it is the oldest of our properties. It is really something quite special.
Step Back in Time (But Retain All Modern Luxuries)
Retaining all its 14th century period charm, The Oval does, however, come with all the contemporary finishes one expects. Consider this your perfect heritage cottage, but with WiFi, Netflix and all the modern conveniences that make for an indulgent getaway.
Guests seeking authentic, yesteryear design with premium-quality contemporary finishing touches always love their time at The Oval. It’s just such a delight settling into one of Dunster's finest historical holiday cottages.
An English Heritage Holiday Cottage Full of Medieval Charm
This cosy heritage cottage home boasts original cruck beams, oak screening, a stunning four-poster bed, wood-burning stove, stone floors and many more fascinating features. It is thrilling to explore and find marks on the wood panelling made by the carpenters so long ago or sleep in the stately four-poster, just like Henry VIII. In fact, Channel 4’s Time Team has dendro-dated the cruck beams in the main bedroom to the winter of 1366. Genuine features like these can only be found in authentic period holiday cottages. Oh, and in case you were wondering, The Oval’s name does not pertain to cricket – it’s a corruption of the word ‘hovel’, which was used for any house in past times.
Welcome to this exquisite historic England holiday cottage - we have no doubt you will enjoy the most delightful heritage holiday here in Dunster!
General Features of The Oval, Our Dog-friendly Exmoor Holiday Cottage
● Four Star Gold rated by VisitEngland
● Sykes GEM Awards winner
● BT Infinity WiFi
● Three individually-designed bedrooms
● Two bathrooms
● Dog-friendly (upon request)
● Central heating
● Linen included
● Patio and sundeck
● Travel cot
● Two reserved car parking spaces
● Pub/restaurant nearby
● Coast within three-miles
● No smoking or BBQ, please
The Oval’s Bedroom Features
● Sleeps up to six
● Large main bedroom with feature four-poster double bed and ‘Jack and Jill’ en-suite featuring jet shower accessible from the hallway (for occupants of twin bedroom)
● Double with en-suite including bath and Sanilav toilet
● Twin bedroom (can access shower room to main bedroom from hallway if desired)
● High-quality mattresses
● Hairdryer in each room
● Two travel cots
● Two ‘Sanilav’ toilets
The Oval’s Kitchen Features
● Range-style dual fuel cooker
● High chair
The Oval’s Living Room Features
● Wood-burning stove nestled within original Medieval-style open fireplace
The Oval’s Home Entertainment
● 55-inch HD TV
● DVD player
● Games, toys, jigsaw puzzles
The Oval’s Laundry Facilities
● Washing machine
● Tumble dryer
● Iron and ironing board
● Doggie supplies (basket, blankets, towels)
● Sink unit
● ‘Sanilav’ toilet
The Oval’s Garden Features
● Decked area with delightful views of Exmoor (note steep steps)
● Enjoy the distant sound of church bells from high above the village
● Courtyard ideal for summer breakfasts al-fresco
2 reserved parking spaces
Coast within 3 miles
Range-style duel fuel cooker
- Available start dates are shown by a coloured circle – click on your chosen start date to see how many nights are available to book.
- Dates in grey are already booked.
- Our minimum stay is 3 nights. Breaks of 7 nights or more start on a Saturday.
- If you have any queries about booking please email us.