Step back into the Middle Ages
Village centre location. Two reserved parking spaces. Sleeps six, two en-suite bathrooms. Wood burner, patio and sun deck. Rated Four Star Gold by VisitEngland.
The Oval - Historic self-catering accommodation in Somerset
Welcome to The Oval, an exquisite self-catering Somerset cottage. Set in the heart of the beautifully-preserved medieval village of Dunster is our historic England holiday cottage, The Oval. It has gorgeous original features, sleeps six, and Visit England rates it 4-star Gold.
Not only is it a remarkable building, but it is the oldest of our properties. It is really something quite special.
A Period Dunster Cottage With All Modern Luxuries
Looking for Dunster accommodation with character? The Oval has retained all its 14th century period charm, but still has all the modern conveniences you expect. Consider this your perfect heritage cottage, but with WiFi, Netflix and all the modern conveniences that make for an indulgent getaway.
Guests seeking authentic, yesteryear design with premium-quality contemporary finishing touches always love their time at The Oval. It’s just such a delight settling into one of Dunster's finest historical holiday cottages.
A Somerset Holiday Cottage Full of Medieval Charm
Our cosy Dunster holiday cottage is one of the oldest houses in Dunster. In fact, the specialists at Channel 4's 'The Time Team' have dated the Oval to 1366. This cosy cottage has cruck beams, oak screening, a stunning four-poster bed, wood burning stove, and many more original features. Modern appliances, comfortable furniture, and high-quality bedding and linens guarantee a comfortable stay in these beautiful surroundings.
With three bedrooms the Oval sleeps up to six guests. It is perfect for a week, or a delightful weekend break in Somerset.
Dunster has many attractions to explore, including Dunster Castle, the yarn market, watermill, and dovecote and tithe barn. Plus, when you stay at The Oval the spectacular scenery of Exmoor National Park is right on your doorstep. In the evenings relax by the wood-burning stove or enjoy the garden terrace during warmer months.
Visitors who appreciate history and modern luxury always enjoy staying at The Oval. Why not book your Somerset holiday today and explore the delights of the Oval for yourself?
If you are interested in the history of The Oval, listen to our podcast episode 'Delving into the history of Dunster's Oval'
Our Historic England Holiday Cottage's General Features
● Four Star Gold rated by VisitEngland
● Customers' Choice Awards winner from cottages.com for two years (based on 12 months of guest feedback to independent review site Reevoo)
● BT Business Broadband, average speeds of 27MBPs
● Three individually-designed bedrooms
● Two bathrooms
● Dog-friendly (upon request)
● Central heating
● Linen included
● Patio and sundeck
● Travel cot
● Two reserved car parking spaces
● Pub/restaurant nearby
● Coast within three-miles
● No smoking or BBQ, please
The Oval’s Bedroom Features
● Sleeps up to six
● Large main bedroom with feature four-poster double bed and ‘Jack and Jill’ en-suite featuring jet shower accessible from the hallway (for occupants of twin bedroom)
● Double with en-suite including bath and Sanilav toilet
● Twin bedroom (can access shower room to main bedroom from hallway if desired)
● High-quality mattresses
● Hairdryer in each room
● Two travel cots
● Two ‘Sanilav’ toilets
The Oval’s Kitchen Features
● Range-style dual fuel cooker
● High chair
The Oval’s Living Room Features
● Wood-burning stove nestled within original Medieval-style open fireplace
The Oval’s Home Entertainment
● 55-inch HD TV
● DVD player
● Games, toys, jigsaw puzzles
The Oval’s Laundry Facilities
● Washing machine
● Tumble dryer
● Iron and ironing board
● Doggie supplies (basket, blankets, towels)
● Sink unit
● ‘Sanilav’ toilet
The Oval’s Garden Features
● Decked area with delightful views of Exmoor (note steep steps)
● Enjoy the distant sound of church bells from high above the village
● Courtyard ideal for summer breakfasts al-fresco
2 reserved parking spaces
Coast within 3 miles
Range-style dual fuel cooker
- Available start dates are shown by a coloured circle – click on your chosen start date to see how many nights are available to book.
- Dates in grey are already booked.
- Our minimum stay is 2 nights.
- NEW FOR 2023: During the summer peak period we've reduced the minimum stay at The Oval to 2 nights so you can enjoy a summer short break.
- f you have any queries about booking please email us.