We want to reassure all our guests about the cleaning protocol at our cottages. Our properties have always been deep cleaned between lets, and our high standards of cleanliness have been recognised by VisitEngland. After cleaning, each property is carefully checked from a 50-point list by our Head Housekeeper before guests arrive. Following the outbreak of COVID-19 and government guidance, we have introduced new procedures to further enhance our anti-viral cleaning regime. Here’s what we’re doing now in addition to that regime to address any concerns about the virus.
- Gloves are worn throughout cleaning and then disposed of after the clean. No gloves are reused or transferred between properties. Our team wash their hands immediately after removing their gloves.
- All laundry is handled while wearing disposable gloves.
- We have switched to a professional laundry so that items can be washed in a process that also disinfects fabrics. Linen and towels are handled separately, and washed at a minimum of 60 degrees.
- All surfaces in bathrooms and kitchens are cleaned with fresh, cotton cleaning cloths which are boil-washed after use or with disposable cloths which are thrown away.
- All surfaces, grab rails, hand-rails, toilet roll dispensers and hard surfaces are cleaned with either:
- A bleach solution at 10% strength or ‘Dettol Bleach’ spray or similar.
- Milton cleaning solution at 20% strength.
- Mops, cleaning machine pads and other units are immersed in a 50% bleach solution after use.
- Hand soap and washing up liquid are provided in all properties. Our team clean the containers between stays with the above solutions.
- We provide hand sanitiser from our local provider, Exmoor Distillery. Each party receives one 250ml bottle to keep.
- Waste is double bagged prior to disposal. Items incorrectly recycled must remain in refuse and not manually handled or sorted.
We will do our best to return lost property to you. Please be aware there are some personal items like razors, shavers and toiletries that we will now destroy. Fabric items will be washed at 60 degrees before we return them.
Board games and toys
Regular guests will know that all our cottages have toy boxes, books, DVDs, board games and jigsaw puzzles for guests to enjoy. For now, we have removed the toys as we know it is hard to children to avoid their use, and we simply cannot deep clean these items between stays. We have however left the books, DVDs and board games. We suggest you follow government guidance and wash your hands frequently for 20 seconds after you’ve played a game from the cottage, and use the hand sanitiser we provide. And of course, please do bring your own.
We plan that these measures will remain in place for at least 18 months from 1st March 2020. As a result of the extra time needed to clean and inspect properties, it is no longer feasible for us to provide early check-ins and late check-outs. Check-in time is 4pm at the Vicarage Road Cottages and 3pm at The Oval in Dunster. Check-out is by 10am at all properties. We hope you will be understanding and please not ask for an extension.
We want to thank our housekeeping team for their hard work and dedication during this time. We are doing everything we can to ensure you have healthy and Happy Holidays at Exmoor Character Cottages! As always, please ask us if you have any questions.