Hire an e-mountain bike and head off-road
Looking for a fresh, exciting new way to discover Exmoor? If you like your holidays with a side-serve of adrenaline, why not consider an e-bike? Father and son guests Mark and Lucas hired e-mountain bikes from Exmoor Adventures to go off the beaten track and explore some beautiful pathways around Porlock and trails through Horner Wood.
E-bikes – perfect for all fitness levels
Although Mark and Lucas are experienced mountain bikers, they had not ridden e-bikes before. This kind of bike is ideal for Exmoor’s highs (on this ride up to a 2201 ft elevation) and lows. You don’t need to be super-fit to handle the terrain of this beautiful national park, as the electric-powered battery takes a lot of the strain. That said, it’s still an enjoyable work-out and a wonderful way to experience the outdoors.
The boys went out for a two-and-a-half-hour ride and have shared with us these lovely images taken along the way.
Things to enjoy when discovering Exmoor by e-Bike
Lucas (13) had a lot of favourite bits, including:
- Experiencing an e-bike for the first time.
- Riding through a ford.
- Scaling some steep paths with the help of battery power.
- Enjoying the amazing views.
- Covering 12.5 miles in 2.5 hours – see the Strava graphic.
Advice if you plan to e-Bike around Exmoor
Here are Mark’s ‘dad’ tips if you’re thinking of following their example:
- Take your own Ordnance Survey map. You will be given a map with your hire bike, but with mobile signal non-existent, it’s best to go for a map that covers a broader area just in case you get lost.
- Take a drink and a snack for each rider.
- Pack a First Aid kit.
- Be prepared for weather extremes – wet, sun, wind.
- Do put extra time on your car parking ticket in case you get lost!
Was it a success? Lucas now says walking is ‘boring’, so that’s good. He wants an e-bike for Christmas, and dad Mark says that’s bad! They earned their lovely soak in the hot tub after at their Exmoor Character Cottage, Stone Barn.
Our four luxury holiday cottages make a perfect base for exploring Exmoor on foot, two wheels, four wheels or four hooves! See our blog and listen to our Exmoor Character Cottages podcasts which are packed full of ideas and inspiration for other activities.