We want to update all our guests regarding strict new coronavirus UK cleaning procedures now underway across all our cottages.
Deep cleaning is standard practice at Exmoor Character Cottages
Our properties have always been deep cleaned between lets. Indeed, VisitEngland recognises our high standards of cleanliness. After cleaning and before guests arrive, we carefully check each property using a 150-point list by our Head Housekeeper.
However, following the outbreak of COVID-19 and government guidance, we have introduced new procedures to further enhance our anti-viral cleaning regime.
Additional enhanced safety cleaning measures at Exmoor Character Cottages
Here are the coronavirus cleaning procedures now underway:
- We wear gloves throughout cleaning and then dispose hygienically after the clean. We never reuse gloves or transfer them between properties. Our team washes their hands immediately after removing their gloves.
- Our team uses gloves, aprons and facemasks whilst handling all laundry.
- We have switched to a professional laundry. As a result we wash items in a process that also disinfects fabrics. The service treats linen and towels separately, and washes them at a minimum of 60 degrees.
- Cleaning all surfaces in bathrooms and kitchens relies on fresh, cotton cleaning cloths. We boil-wash after use or we use disposable cloths, which we then throw away.
- We have one set of cleaners and one set of cleaning fluids and equipment per property. Should any of our team move to work in another cottage, they will remove their aprons, masks and gloves and change them for a new set, and use the cleaning equipment allocated to that property.
- We clean all surfaces, grab rails, hand-rails, toilet roll dispensers and hard surfaces with either:
- A bleach solution at 10% strength or ‘Dettol Bleach’ spray or similar.
- Milton cleaning solution at 20% strength.
- Mops, cleaning machine pads and other units are immersed in a 50% bleach solution after use.
- We provide hand soap and washing up liquid in all properties. Our team cleans the containers between stays with the above solutions.
- Our local Exmoor Distillery provides hand sanitiser. Each party receives one 250ml bottle to keep.
- Carpets and floors are cleaned with a viricidal cleaner.
- We sanitise the properties (also known as ‘fogging’) as needed. This process kills all bacteria on soft furnishings including carpets, curtains, mattresses, bedding etc.
- Waste is double bagged prior to disposal. Items incorrectly recycled must remain in refuse and not manually handled or sorted.
Maintaining hygienic board games and toys
Regular guests will know that all our cottages have toy boxes, books, DVDs, board games and jigsaw puzzles for all to enjoy. For now, we have removed the toys and board games. We know it is hard for children to avoid their use, and we simply cannot deep clean these items between stays. However, we have left the books and DVDs. We suggest you follow government guidance and wash your hands frequently for 20 seconds after you’ve read a book or played a DVD from the cottage. Please use the hand sanitiser we provide. And of course, please do bring your own.
Returning lost property – cleaning before posting
We will do our best to return lost property to you. Please be aware there are some personal items like razors, shavers and toiletries that we will now destroy. We wash fabric items at 60 degrees before we return them.
Deep cleaning has impacted check in and check out times
We plan that these measures will remain in place for at least 18 months from 1st March 2020. As a result of the extra time needed to clean and inspect properties, it is no longer feasible for us to provide early check-ins and late check-outs. Check-in time is 5pm at the Vicarage Road Cottages and 4pm at The Oval in Dunster. Check-out is by 10am at all properties. We hope you will be understanding and please not ask for an extension.
Thank you to our housekeeping team for their hard work and dedication during this time. Please know that these coronavirus UK cleaning procedures are part of sweeping COVID-19 updates we are making to ensure you have healthy and Happy Holidays at Exmoor Character Cottages! As always, please ask us if you have any questions.